Cartel Shows on Netflix That Are Worth Watching. When it comes to streaming services, Netflix is king. They have a huge selection of movies and TV shows that are sure to keep you entertained for hours on end. But what if you’re looking for something a little more specific?
If you’re interested in drug lords and cartels, there are plenty of great shows on Netflix that will give you all the suspense and intrigue you’re looking for.
In our list of the best 32 cartel shows on Netflix, you’ll find plenty of blood, corruption, betrayals, and suspense. So if you’re looking for your next binge-worthy show, look no further than this list!
It can be tough to find good cartel shows to watch, but don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. We’ve compiled a list of the best 32 cartel shows on Netflix that you can stream right now. With so many great options to choose from, you’re sure to find something that’s worth your time.
1. Narcos (2015-2017)
- Creators: Carlo Bernard, Chris Brancato, Doug Miro.
- Director: Andres Baiz, Josef Kubota, Fernando Coimbra.
- Writers: Carlo Bernard, Doug Miro, Andrew Black.
- Cast: Wagner Moura, Pedro Pascal, Alberto Ammann, Boyd Holbrook, Paulina Gaitan.
- IMDb Rating: 8.8/10
The story of Pablo Escobar is well known – he’s the man responsible for turning the Colombian city of Medellin into a narco-state. What most people don’t know is that this was also when Mexico became a haven for drugs, especially cocaine. Drug lords like the Arellano-Felix brothers came to power during this time.
Narcos: Mexico explores the modern drug war by going back to its roots in today’s version of the cartel as an industrial organization.
3. Queen of the South (2016-2021)
- Creator: M.A, Fortin, Joshua John Miller
- Director: Eduardo Sanchez, David Boyd, Ben Hernandez Bray.
- Writers: M.A. Fortin, Joshua John Miller, Arturo Perez-Reverte
- Cast: Veronica Falcon, Alice Braga, Hemky Madera, Peter Gadiot, Molly Burnett.
- IMDb Rating: 8.0/10
Azteca and the Calí tequila brands are known for being lawless, which is why Teresa Mendoza is running for her life. Queen of the South tells the story of a young woman who becomes a rising star in the world of drug trafficking. After landing a spot at the helm of an operation over her dead boyfriend’s drug cartel, Teresa will do whatever it takes to get what she wants.
4. Ozark (2017-2022)
- Director: Jason Bateman, Alik Sakharov, Andrew Bernstein.
- Writers: Whit Anderson, Michael M. Chang, Laura Deeley.
- Cast: Laura Linney, Jason Bateman, Skylar Gaertner, Sofia Hublitz, Lisa Emery, Julia Garner.
- IMDb Rating: 8.5/10
The Byrde family’s relocation from the bustling city of Chicago to the more rural Ozarks brings with it a change of pace, as they now have to face new challenges such as drug cartels. Each member of the family is struggling with their own personal demons, which makes for an interesting and complex dynamic. As they start their new lives, the family must also construct new identities – something the show portrays with both humor and depth.
5. Drug Lords (2018-)
- Director: Marc Tiley, Mike Welsh.
- Writers: Maximo Pain
- Cast: Maximo Pain, Carlo Alvarez, Winter Dunn, Quinn Dalton, Jordan Lawson.
- IMDb Rating: 6.8/10
Drug lords have always been a topic of fascination, from movies to documentaries. Drug Lords is a different kind of best show on Netflix, in that it’s a documentary series about well-known drug bosses.
True to its title, this show goes deep into the lives of six very different drug lords. Each episode focuses on one drug lord and their rise to power. If you’re interested in learning about the seedy underbelly of the drug world, then this is the show for you.
6. El Cartel De Los Sapos (2008)
- Creator: Andres Lopez
- Director: Luis Alberto Restrepo.
- Writers: Andres Lopez, Juan Camil Ferrand.
- Cast: Neal Kodinsky, Robinson Diaz, Manolo Cardona, Vivian Ossa, Jesus Chaver.
- IMDb Rating: 8.1/10
When a group of young, carefree friends in a middle-class neighborhood start selling drugs, they’re quickly drawn into a world of money, and violence. But it isn’t long before their quick cash starts attracting attention from some very dangerous people.
El Cartel De Los Sapos is a story of friendship tested to the limit when a job goes wrong, and Jose must choose between his own safety or his buddy’s.
7. El Chapo (2017-2018)
- Creator: Silvana Aguirre, Carlos Contreras.
- Director: Ernesto Contreras, Hammudi Al-Rahmoun Font, Carlos Moreno.
- Writers: Silvana Aguirre, Esteban Orozco, Diego Vega Vidal.
- Cast: Humberto Busto, Marco de la O, Lura Osma, Alejandro Aguilar, Juan Carlos Cruz.
- IMDb Rating: 7.8/10
El Chapo is a Netflix series that tells the story of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, a Mexican drug lord who was one of the richest and most powerful criminals in world history.
The series chronicles his rise to power in the 1990s as the head of the Sinaloa Cartel, and how it all led to his eventual downfall.
8. Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami (2021)
- Director: Billy Corben
- Cast: Alexia Echevarria, Ralph Linero, Pedro Rosello, Marilyn Bonachea, Jim DeFede.
- IMDb Rating: 7.1/10
Cocaine Cowboys is a true story of crime and the quest for riches that created Miami. From the 1970s until the mid-1980s, Miami was a hotbed of drug smugglers and gangsters. This documentary is filled with cinematic storytelling, interviews with locals, and expert testimony that tells the story of how Miami became a haven for cocaine smugglers.
9. Surviving Escobar: Alias JJ (2017-)
- Director: Luis Alberto Restrepo, Jorge Sandoval, Juan Carlos.
- Writers: Johny A. Ortiz, Gerardo Pinzon.
- Cast: Nicole Santamaria, Roberto Mateos, Juan Pablo Urrego, Ampara Grisales, Natasha Klauss.
- IMDb Rating: 7.9/10
Alias JJ, one of the most ruthless assassins of the cartel, is tasked with protecting the only witness to the mob’s crimes. With Pablo Escobar’s fiercest rival now a wily phantom whose reputation for vengeance terrorizes all who cross him, Alias JJ is an action-packed thriller that will bring you the right flavor of the cartel show.
10. El Senor de los Cielos (2013-)
- Creator: Mariana Calasso, Luis Zelkowicz
- Director: Jaime Segura, Victor Herrera McNaught, Danny Gavidia.
- Writers: Juan Manuel Andrade, Juan Manuel, Mariano Calasso
- Cast: Carmen Aub, Rafael Amaya, Lisa Owen, Alejandro Lopez, Fernanda Castillo.
- IMDb Rating: 6.9/10
The life of Amado Carrillo Fuentes was anything but ordinary. In the 1990s, he took over the Juárez cartel and quickly became known for his fleet of airplanes that he used to transport drugs and wash more than $200 million through Colombia.
Now, you can get an inside look at this fascinating story in a new non-stop action series packed with drama and intrigue. Don’t miss your chance to see how one man managed to change the Mexican trafficking landscape forever.